Thursday

Kathryn Schulz: On being wrong










People make mistakes. They are wrong. I'm wrong, you're wrong, and so is everybody else. Then why is it so hard to admit? Because people are scared, embarrassed, or ashamed of being wrong. Though it is not sensible to hide from being wrong, it is human nature to make mistakes. In Kathryn Schulz's TED talk, she reminds us that it is okay to be wrong. In fact, she encourages being wrong, saying that people learn from their mistakes. Mistakes help people to grow, and to improve problem solving. Failure is just another word for progress. Making mistakes is the point of being human. Kathryn Schulz believes there would be much more success if people accepted mistakes. When mistakes are made now, people get discouraged and frusturated. Unlike most people, Schulz sees mistakes as a learning experience. Without mistakes, success does not exist! Mistakes are more important than many realize.

Schulz was very convincing due to he connections she formed with the audience. She opened up about an embarrassing mistake she made, showing the audience she was not afraid to take her own advice and make mistakes. She brings up common examples of others also making mistakes. She uses the example of the cartoon of the coyote and the road runner. The success of the show is based on the coyote's constant mistakes. The coyote makes countless wrong moves while chasing the road runner, but always tries again. Schulz also uses pictures and quotes to further her point. Schulz explains that in spite of our reluctance to accept our own mistakes, we enjoy seeing them, reading about them, and hearing about them. Schulz directly involves her audience, asking them how it feels to make mistakes.

This TED talk has really touched me, because it applies to my daily life. I have to admit, I never admit I am wrong if I can help it. I make it my goal to be right about everything, and I cannot stand mistakes. This is especially true when it comes to arguments. When I argue with my parents, I keep my focus on winning the "argument." If I lost, I consider it a personal failure. Watching Schulz's TED talk has helped me to realize that being right isn't everything, that is is normal to be wrong.

As I listened to Schulz's talk, I found myself wondering why ever human being is so set on being right. Because they learn it from an early age. From where? Kids learn the importance of being right in school. They are taught to earn good grades, which they must be right in order to do. They are taught that kids who receive bad grades are stupid and lazy. So why has no one realized this problem before? Because it is so deeply ingrained in their thinking. How can one succeed without being right? By being wrong, you are failing, and by failing, you cannot succeed.

Kathryn Schulz's talk was especially interesting because it is a very unpopular idea in society. It was interesting to hear an opinion contradicting popular belief. It was very inspiring that many people will scoff at her idea, yet she is passionate enough to spread it anyway.


1 comment: